I’ve never had Apple Dumplings before, so I made it my goal to make them at some point this fall. I was always curious about them. I found myself pleasantly surprised by an onslaught of flavor. The Apple Dumplings ( by allrecipe.com) are warm, gooey, cozy, autumn-goodness lumps of gold that brought down the house! (This is the type of food that is served in heaven… or to get you to heaven at any rate.) I make no joke when I say this: “I think that these Apple Dumplings were one of the best desserts that I have ever tasted in my entire life!!!” I had no idea what I was in for. Apple pie is a vegetable in comparison. I cannot impress upon you how amazing this Apple Dumplings Recipe is!!! But to go on, I just have to tell you who my baking inspiration is- Snow White. If you have ever seen Walt Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, you know that Snow White is an excellent baker. My life long goal was to be able to make an Apple Pie (or Apple Dumplings) just like Snow White did… while singing about her prince who would someday come for her and the birds fluted the pie crust with their little feet. Don’t forget that “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” It worked for Snow White.
Apple Dumplings Recipe:
(Makes six dumplings)
For Pastry (by Betty Crocker):
2/3 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4-5 Tbsp. cold water
6 small Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
1/2 cup butter divided
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 13×9 inch pan.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large rectangle about 24×16 inches. Then cut it into six pieces.
3. Place a cored, peeled apple on each square. Divide butter into eight pieces and put one piece into each apple’s opening. Keep the left-over butter for the sauce. Divide the brown sugar among the apples. (you can stuff the sugar in the core with the butter and/or around the apple… it doesn’t matter) Sprinkle them with the cinnamon and the nutmeg.
4. Bring one corner up to the top of the apple. Bring the opposite corner up as well and press together. Seal with two remaining corners. Slightly pinch dough at the sides to seal completely. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place them in the 13×9 inch pan.
4. In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, reserved butter, and vanilla. Over medium heat, bring the ingredients to a boil. Boil them for five minutes. Carefully pour the sauce over the dumplings. Bake for about 50-60 minutes.
5. Serve the delicious goodness with a scoop of ice-cream or homemade whipped cream. This Apple Dumplings Recipe is SOOO scrumptious! Apple Dumplings equal great comfort food. If you want to taste heaven… this is it.