This is my family’s go-to classic. Whenever a guest comes to our house and we can’t decide what they would like, we end up making this recipe (bingo!). You can never go wrong with something called “Ooey-Gooey Bars” . :) This recipe is super easy to whip up as well as tasty. The crust is nice and buttery and tastes like (actually it literally is) a cake and I love the cream cheese top that makes it ooey and gooey… these bars are sweet, savory, and simple. :)
Ooey-Gooey Bars Recipe:
For the Crust:
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
For the Filling:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 lb. ( 3 1/2 cups) powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set out a greased 13×9 inch pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, hand (litterally… use your hands) mix the butter, cake mix, and egg until the butter and egg is well incorporated and the cake mix it like a dough. Pat the dough into the prepared pan and set aside.
3. For the filling: With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and SLOWLY mix so you don’t get a mushroom cloud of sugar in your kitchen. (This may have happened to me one time, so I’m kind of speaking from experience:) Pour the mixture over the unbaked crust.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cream cheese just starts to turn a golden brown. A knife will never come out clean, so don’t even think about using it… there’s a reason that they’re called Ooey-Gooey Bars. Allow them to cool.
5. Gobble up (and horizontally as well, I guess)!